The UW-Madison Nordic Ski Team is a semi-competitive, co-ed racing team that participates in a variety of citizen races around the Midwest. Practice begins in the fall and includes all sorts of cross-training including running, hill-bounding, circuit workouts, and rollerskiing. We even find time to play a few games of ultimate frisbee! Once it snows, practices are held at Elver Park on the west side of Madison two to three days a week. On the weekends listed in the schedule, the team travels to races in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan. Race highlights include the American Birkebeiner, Noquemenon, and Great Bear Chase. This club is a great way to ski at some of the Midwest's best nordic ski centers with a great group of people. We welcome anyone who is interested in nordic skiing. Current members range in all levels of ability and competitiveness. We provide the opportunity for all those that love nordic skiing to get on the snow!
Practice InformationFall Practices (Fall Semester):
- Tuesday & Thursday at 6 pm: Emails with practice location and agendas are sent out each week starting September 22nd
- There will be running and non-running options available at most dryland practices to accommodate all skill levels
- Weekend rollerskiing is common
- Any and all are welcome at fall practices, even without paying dues
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays at 6pm: The team skis at Elver Park, weather and trail conditions permitting. Hoofer vans will leave around 6pm and return back to campus around 8pm. Currently, we have three pick-up/drop-off locations: the Shell, Lakeshore near the Porter Boathouse, and Southeast at the Kohl Center.
- Tuesdays, 7pm: Optional 5K and 10K races at Elver Park organized by MadNorSki ($5)
- Must pay dues to get a ride to Elver Park
- Full nordic team membership ($150): covers ALL transportation plus lodging and food for races and trips.
- Practice only team membership ($50): covers transportation to weekday practices.
- Hoofer Ski & Snowboard Club membership required (additional $40). Includes a Hoofer hat and SnS sticker!
- Pay for membership at the Outdoor UW Office in Memorial Union (Lakeside of Memorial Union).
- Apparel: The team orders Podiumwear uniforms in the fall. There are also team shirts available, more information coming.
- Equipment: The team does not provide skiing equipment for members. However, December 5-7 Hoofers runs a ski resale in Union South where you can find heavily discounted equipment (new and used). If you are looking to learn how to cross-country ski, Hoofers Outing Club has rentals and lessons.
- Park Pass: $30 from the city of Madison. Purchase online here.
- Weekend Races: Members must pay for any race fees
Interested in Joining?
Send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for more information or to join our mailing list.
Team DirectorsOlivia Steinmetz • Alex Kirschling
For general questions or to request more information about the team, please write email@example.com.