The UW-Madison Nordic Ski Team is a semi-competitive, co-ed racing team that competes in a variety of citizen races around the Midwest. Practice begins in the fall and includes running, hill-bounding, circuit workouts, and some rollerskiing twice a week. Once it snows, we ski at Elver Park on the west side of Madison during the week and travel to train or race on most weekends. Race highlights include the Noquemenon, City of Lakes Loppet, American Birkebeiner and Great Bear Chase. This club is a great opportunity to ski at some of the Midwest's best nordic ski centers with a great group of people. We welcome anyone who is interested in nordic skiing. Current members range in all levels of ability and competitiveness. We provide the opportunity for all those that love nordic skiing to get on the snow!
Practice InformationFall Practices (cold weather without skiable snow):
- Monday & Wednesday, 6 pm: Informal long runs usually leave from the bottom of Bascom Hill.
- Tuesday & Thursday, 6 pm: Meet at either the bottom of Bascom Hill or the Shell (emails for location are sent before practice) for workouts focusing on core strength and skiing-specific muscle groups
- Weekend rollerskiing is common, but there is currently no set schedule
- All are welcome at fall practices, even if they have not yet paid dues
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6pm: The team skis at Elver Park, weather and trail conditions permitting. Practices generally last till around 8pm, though some vans may leave earlier or later. Currently, we have three pickup locations: the Shell, Lakeshore near the Porter Boathouse, and Southeast at the Kohl Center.
- Tuesdays, 7pm: 5K and 10K races at Elver organized by MadNorSki ($5).
- Full nordic team membership ($150): covers all transportation plus lodging for trips
- Hoofer Ski & Snowboard Club membership required (additional $35)
- Pay for membership at the Outdoor UW Office in Memorial Union (off the terrace).
Other Costs (Optional)
- Apparel: The team orders Podiumwear uniforms in the fall. There are also Patagona dri-fit t-shirts available for $25. Sizes are limited.
- Equipment: The team does not provide skiing equipment for members. However, in early December Hoofers runs a ski resale where you can find heavily discounted equipment (new and used). If you are looking to learn how to cross-country ski Hoofers Outing Club has rentals and lessons.
- Spring break trip: Let the directors know if you have interest in a spring break trip. In the past, the team had sought out some early spring skiing, but there has been a lack of interest recently and many members opt to join the rest of Hoofers SNS in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, for downhill skiing.
Interested in Joining?
Come to practice and check it out! Or, send us an e-mail at email@example.com and ask for more information and/or get added to the group list.-->
Team DirectorsBrian Kilberg • Matt Doneaux •Jenny Demeules
For general questions or to request more information about the team, please write firstname.lastname@example.org.