The UW-Madison Nordic Ski Team is a semi-competitive, co-ed racing team that competes in a variety of citizen races around the Midwest. Practice begins in the fall and includes running, hill-bounding, circuit workouts, and some rollerskiing based on interest. Once it snows, practices are held at Elver Park on the west side of Madison two to three days a week. On the weekend the team typically travels to various citizen races in the Midwest. Please reference the schedules tab to see a complete list of races. Race highlights include the Noquemenon, City of Lakes Loppet, American Birkebeiner and Great Bear Chase. This club is a great opportunity to ski at some of the Midwest's best nordic ski centers with a great group of people. We welcome anyone who is interested in nordic skiing. Current members range in all levels of ability and competitiveness. We provide the opportunity for all those that love nordic skiing to get on the snow!
Practice InformationFall Practices (Fall Semester):
- Tuesday & Thursday, 6 pm: Meet at either the bottom of Bascom Hill or the Shell (emails for location are sent before practice) for workouts focusing on core strength and skiing-specific muscle groups
- Weekend rollerskiing is common, but there is currently no set schedule
- All are welcome at fall practices, even if they have not yet paid dues
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6pm: The team skis at Elver Park, weather and trail conditions permitting. Vans will leave campus around 6pm and return back to campus around 8pm. Currently, we have three pickup locations: the Shell, Lakeshore near the Porter Boathouse, and Southeast at the Kohl Center.
- Tuesdays, 7pm: 5K and 10K races at Elver organized by MadNorSki ($5).
- Full nordic team membership ($170): covers all transportation plus lodging for races and trips
- Practice only team membership ($60): covers transportation to weekday practices
- Hoofer Ski & Snowboard Club membership required (additional $40)
- Pay for membership at the Outdoor UW Office in Memorial Union (Lakeside of Memorial Union)
- Apparel: The team orders Podiumwear uniforms in the fall. There are also Patagona dri-fit t-shirts available for $25. Sizes are limited.
- Equipment: The team does not provide skiing equipment for members. However, in early December Hoofers runs a ski resale where you can find heavily discounted equipment (new and used). If you are looking to learn how to cross-country ski Hoofers Outing Club has rentals and lessons.
- Weekend Races: Members must pay for any race fees
Interested in Joining?
Come to practice and check it out! Or, send us an e-mail at email@example.com and ask for more information and/or get added to the group list.
Team DirectorsBrian Kilberg • Matt Doneaux •Jenny Demeules
For general questions or to request more information about the team, please write firstname.lastname@example.org.